On Tuesday, February 14, 2023, at approximately 8:53 a.m., members of Manchester Township Police, Fire, and EMS along with members from each of the Manchester Volunteer Fire Companies responded to a Steiner Road address in the Holly Oaks section of the township for a report of a structure fire.
Upon arrival, smoke and flames were observed emanating from the rear exterior of the residence and it was quickly determined that the two occupants of the residence had self-evacuated. Manchester Police Officers and Manchester Director of Emergency Services, Robert Baran quickly utilized fire extinguishing devices to contain the flames until it could be fully extinguished by responding fire personnel. As a result of the fire, the residence sustained extensive fire and water damage to the rear of the residence and the building inspector subsequently deemed the residence uninhabitable.
The owner/ occupant of the residence, 75-year old, Caroline Karmazin, sustained minor injuries while attempting to contain the fire. The injuries included smoke inhalation and a minor burn to her hand. A 17 year-old female occupant suffered smoke inhalation. Both parties were transported to Monmouth Medical Southern Campus by Manchester Emergency Medical Services.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the fire originated on a rear porch and possibly the result of improperly discarded smoking material into a trash receptacle.
Assisting at the scene were members of the Ridgeway Volunteer Fire Company, Manchester Volunteer Fire Company, Whiting Volunteer Fire Company, Ocean County Fire Marshall, Manchester Township Building Department, Manchester Township OEM and the American Red Cross.