ROCKAWAY: The Rockaway Township Fire Department released the following statement on a fire that destroyed a home last night.
Just before 10pm on Saturday, February 25th, Hibernia Fire Company #1, Marcella Fire Company #3 and the Chiefs were dispatched to Meggins Road for a kitchen fire. C1 (Fire Chief) and C2 (Deputy Chief) were first on scene within 60 seconds of dispatch. C1 immediately requested a second alarm for a working structure fire which added White Meadow Lake Fire Company #5 for an engine, Green Pond Volunteer Fire Department for a water tender, Birchwood Fire Company #4 for a rescue truck, Mount Hope Fire Company #2 for a ladder truck, Boonton Township Fire Department for a water tender, Jefferson Co1 for RIC team and water tender, Saint Clare’s for two ambulances to stand by and County mutual aid coordinators. Also station coverage from Denville Volunteer Fire Department, Rockaway Borough Fire Department, Picatinny Arsenal Fire Department and Kinnelon FD.
Fortunately, there were no civilian or firefighter injuries and the fire was extinguished but the house suffered extensive damage.
A GoFundMe has been set up here https://www.gofundme.com/f/fire-destroys-gares-family-home-in-rockaway and clothing / gift cards can be dropped off at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church on Greenpond Rd.
We also want to remind all residents to make sure they have working smoke detectors (hard wired, or if battery it should be a built in 10 Year Battery) and carbon monoxide detectors.