Man Pleads Guilty After Holding Ex-Girlfriend Against Her Will at Gun Point in Toms River


TOMS RIVER: Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer announced that on April 4, 2023, Deshaun Porter, 29, of Newark, pled guilty to Aggravated Assault, two counts of being a Certain Person Not to Possess a Weapon, and Possession a Weapon For an Unlawful Purpose before the Honorable Kenneth T. Palmer, J.S.C., in connection with incidents that occurred on November 3, 2020 and November 6, 2020, in Toms River. At the time of his sentencing on June 2, 2023, the State will be recommending a term of seven years New Jersey State Prison (NJSP) as to the Aggravated Assault charge – subject to the terms of the No Early Release Act, five years NJSP with a five-year period of parole ineligibility as to each of the Certain Person charges, and five years NJSP with a parole ineligibility period of 42 months as to the Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose charge. The sentences are to run concurrently.

On November 6, 2020, Officers from the Toms River Township Police Department were summoned to an apartment on James Street for a report of a female victim being held against her will by a male suspect, later identified as Porter, with whom she had been in a relationship. Officers arrived on the scene at approximately 9:00 a.m., at which time Porter fled the apartment. Responding Officers determined that Porter arrived at the apartment at approximately 4:00 a.m., held the female victim at gunpoint, and refused to allow her leave. Further investigation revealed that the events at the apartment on James Street originated as a result of an earlier incident that occurred on November 3, 2020, at the Howard Johnson’s Hotel in Toms River. On that date, Porter forced his way into a hotel room, threatened the occupants with a handgun, and struck the same female victim in the face. On November 6, 2020, a warrant was issued for Porter’s arrest and his name was entered into the National Crime Information Center Database.

On December 9, 2020, Porter was taken into custody in Atlantic City by the United States Marshals Service, Atlantic City Metro Task Force, and New Jersey State Police. He was transported to the Ocean County Jail, where he has been lodged since his apprehension.

Prosecutor Billhimer acknowledges the diligent efforts of Senior Assistant Prosecutor Jamie Schron and Assistant Prosecutor Alyssa Mandara who are handling the case on behalf of the State, and commends the Toms River Township Police Department, Ocean County Sheriff’s Office, New Jersey State Police, Atlantic City Metro Task Force, and United States Marshals Service, for their combined and collective efforts in connection with this investigation resulting in Porter’s apprehension, guilty pleas, and soon his state prison sentence.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s